Welcome to the PROMISE Study!
We are conducting a new research study focusing on women so we can better understand how to prevent obesity so women can achieve a healthy body weight. This important research is supported by the Health Research Council of New Zealand. We encourage all eligible women to participate in our study.
What is the research study all about?
We want to understand how diet, physical activity, sleep and taste affect the gut bacteria of New Zealand's European women and Pacific women and how this may be linked to long-term health and a healthy body weight.
What will I have to do for this study?
If you would like to help, you will visit our Human Nutrition Research Unit at Massey University's Auckland campus for two visits for about 2 hours each time. The two visits will be a fortnight apart. During your visits you will undergo tests including:
- Full body composition assessment, blood sample, urine sample and blood pressure measurement
- Taste testing
- Data collection relating to your diet, eating behaviour, sleep and physical activity
Between these visits, you will be asked to:
- Wear a watch and a small hip-worn device for 7 days to collect information on your physical activity and sleep patterns
- Record your physical activity for 7 days
- Collect small faecal (stool) samples
- Record what you eat for 5 days
What will I gain from participating in the study?
- Your free body composition assessment (normally valued at $125)
- $100 supermarket or petrol voucher
- Free buffet breakfast during your first visit
- Your blood test results including blood sugar, cholesterol and liver function tests